Seniors Motor Vehicle Safety
In 2016, more than 200,000 drivers ages 65 and older were injured in a traffic crash and more than 3,500 were killed. UNC Trauma wants to provide our community with events and resources that can make mature drivers safer on the road. As a member of the NC Senior Drive Safety Coalition, UNC Trauma partners with state agencies to stay up-to-date on safe driving policies for senior adults and their families.
We partner with AARP of North Carolina to provide CarFit, an evidence-based program to help mature drivers find their “best” fit in their own vehicle, around the MRAC region. If you are interested in bringing CarFit to your area please contact Lindsay Bailey at email@example.com.
Learning & Resources
- AARP Safe Driving Resources and Tips
- Roadwise Rx: A Tool for Understanding How Your Medications May Affect Your Safety
- Seven Senior Driver Safety Suggestions from DMV.org
- AARP Senior Driving Courses for Seniors,
- We Need to Talk: Family Conversations with Senior Drivers (for family members),
- Senior Driver Information from the NC DMV
- NC Senior Driver: Promoting Safety for Older Adults
- 5 Phone Apps that Promote Safer Driving