Gunshot Wound & Violence Prevention
Gunshot wounds are amongs our most common cause of injuries seen at the UNC Trauma Center. Our injury prevention efforts surrounding this serious and complicated problem consist of offering Stop the Bleed classes to community and providing community agencies such as law enforcement with gun locks to distribute in to community members.
In 2019 we co-founded the Orange County Gun Safety Team in partnership with the Orange County Health Department and Orange County Sheriff’s Office. The team consists of our local law enforcement agencies, public health, and social services. In addition, Safe Kids Orange and Safe Kids Chatham coalitions work on firearm safety initiatives. Our activities include providing gun locks and safe gun storage education through community organizations.
For more information on having Stop the Bleed or a gun safety presentation brought to your community group or how you can get a gun lock at no cost please contact Anna Stormzand at email@example.com or 984-974-2437.
Talk to Kids and Families about Gun Safety
- Tell kids that a gun they see on TV or in a game is different from a gun in real life.
- Teach kids DO NOT touch a gun and to tell an adult if they see one right away.
- Learn how to ask about safe gun storage with other families.
Know the Laws for Your Safety and Protection of Others
Recognize the Role of Firearms Safety in Suicide Prevention
Get Rid of Guns You Don’t Need
- If you decide that you no longer need to have a gun in your home, get rid of it. You can dispose of guns legally by taking it your local law enforcement office. Make sure it is unloaded.
Learn How to Secure Your Firearm
Learning & Resources
Gun Safety and Violence Prevention Helpful Links
- Stop the Bleed
- The Firearms Industry Trade Association
- Project ChildSafe: the National Shooting Sports Foundation
- Many Paths to Firearm Safety
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
- Be Smart for Kids
- NCDHHS Injury and Prevention Branch
- Project Child Safe
- Prevent Child Injury
Suicide Prevention Resources
Listen to our podcasts on safe gun storage
Safe Gun Storage & Gun Safety Tips from NC Wildlife